Does your garden look like a jungle, and trying to cut it with a brush cutter or lawnmower is challenging? Maybe, you have moved into a new home with a garden looking like a forest. Gardening Machetes will make your work easy!
You really don’t to end up with a fine for grown up grass in your lawn. We are here to help you in selecting the best product from a wide range.
AllBoutReview has compiled the list of Best Gardening Machetes for our readers. Online shopping with unbiased reviews is now easy!
- List of Best Gardening Machetes
- Gardening Machetes Reviewed
- 1. Hooyman Machete with Heavy Duty Construction
- 2. Fiskars 29 Inch Machete Axe
- 3. Tramontina Machete with Wooden Handle and Nylon Sheath
- 4. Gerber Gear BroadCut Machete with Sheath
- 5. Z & G Billhook Sickle Machete Knife Brush Clearing Sickle
- 6. SOG Survival Machete with Sheath
- 7. Ontario Spec Plus Alpha Machete
- 8. Condor Tool & Knife, Parang Machete
- 9. Ontario Knife Company 6144 Military Machete
- 10. Cold Steel All Purpose Tactical Machete with Sheath
- Easy Maintenance: The first thing you need to make sure about a machete is, maintenance is more natural. If you purchase a machete that takes regular maintenance, it will be a nightmare. The metal of the machete should be corrosion-free for the best performance.
- Material: Don’t purchase a machete until you don’t know the material of it. Though all the machetes come with the metal construction, you need to check the quality. It should be sharp enough for making your tasks more manageable.
- Shape: The next thing you must consider is the shape of the product. Based on the brand and the model of the product, the shape will vary. The shape should be perfect for shifting the weight on the front side so that you can move it comfortably. This also helps with perfection in cutting.
- Handle: Don’t avoid the importance of a perfect handle on the machete. The performance of the product hugely depends on the handle’s shape. Make sure there is enough space for holding. Also, the handle should be comfortable enough to avoid any pain in the wrist.
- Gardening Machetes Reviewed
List of Best Gardening Machetes
Let’s dive into the reviews of every single product that we have listed above.
Gardening Machetes Reviewed
1. Hooyman Machete with Heavy Duty Construction
- DIMENSIONS: 17 inches L x 4.25 inches W x 1.25 inches D and weighs 1.5 lbs
- DURABLE: Blade is constructed of 3CR13 stainless steel with a refined edge for a dependable cut in all situations
- RELIABLE: Features the new, no-slip, H-Grip on the ergonomic handle that turns tacky when wet to ensure a secure grip in all conditions
- BE PREPARED: Blade features a reverse hook design on the end for reaching and pulling vines, gathering and cutting big bunches of grass and easily moving brush while the handle features a peg hole for hanging and storing when not in use
- CONVENIENT: Belt sheath is constructed of 1680D polyester with a plastic liner to protect the blade in rugged or wet conditions
2. Fiskars 29 Inch Machete Axe
- 18 inch blade is ideal for clearing thick brush, chopping roots, cutting branches and palms and more in your yard and garden
- Axe-like blade head provides powerful, controlled chopping and splitting
- Blade curve offers pull-cutting great for removing suckers and clearing vines
- Includes nylon carrying sheath
- Lifetime warranty
3. Tramontina Machete with Wooden Handle and Nylon Sheath
- Blade Length: 12"
- Overall Length: 17"
- Handle Material: Natural Hardwood
- Easily Cuts through Brush and Vegitation
- Black Nylon Sheath
4. Gerber Gear BroadCut Machete with Sheath
- An evolution of the traditional jungle tool, this machete is designed to take on dense brush
- A heavy fine edge blade is corrosion resistant and ideally designed to slice cleanly
- The innovative hook + cut notch gives extended reach to manipulate vines/branches for removal
- The grip is comfortable for all day use with a textured rubber handle and oversized finger choil
- A safety lanyard is included to secure the machete in hand for confident use
5. Z & G Billhook Sickle Machete Knife Brush Clearing Sickle
6. SOG Survival Machete with Sheath
- FULL TANG MACHETE KNIFE BLADE: This small machete is a heavy duty jungle machete, military machete, garden machete and hunting machete; machete full tang survival knife measures 15.3 inches in total length
- TACTICAL MACHETES WITH SHEATH: Brush machete stores easily in its ballistic nylon compact machete sheath with storage pouch; use as a hiking machete and tree machete with the rugged belt loop sheath
- STAINLESS STEEL SAWBACK MACHETE: Hardcased black military machete is made with hardcased 8Cr13MoV stainless steel; jungle knife serrated edge is ideal for survival machete heavy duty cutting and sawing tasks
- BIG KNIFE W/ KRATON HANDLE: SOG’s Digi-Grip keeps this machete heavy duty, lightweight and easy to handle; a great 14-ounce machete for camping, gardening, or clearing brush, grass, saplings and tree branches
- SOG MACHETE FOR LIFE: Take care of your tactical machete knife with sheath and we’ll take care of you; your SOG’s survival knife machete is built to last, and we consider all repair and replacement requests
7. Ontario Spec Plus Alpha Machete
- Injection molded handle and skeletonized tang create an ergonomic and durable handle that will never slip from the knife
- Carbon steel
- Made in the USA
8. Condor Tool & Knife, Parang Machete
- The finest quality cutlery and tools
- 108 sculpted vents
- Handle: Hardwood
- Blade Material: 1075 HIGH CARBON STEEL
- Blade Finish: Epoxy Black Powder Coating
9. Ontario Knife Company 6144 Military Machete
- 18 inch high quality carbon steel blade
- Okc's iconic military-issued machete
- Okc has been making machetes in the USA for over 70 years
- item package weight: 1.5 pounds
10. Cold Steel All Purpose Tactical Machete with Sheath
- The Barong heralds from Southeast Asia, where it is historically both an agricultural tool and an effective weapon during wartime; Has an impressive lineage in the realm of Filipino Martial Culture and is still used by Martial Artists to this day
- Features a beautifully curved 18 inch leaf-shaped blade and is an excellent bushcraft tool, cleaving vines and branches with ease
- Traditionally influenced down-turned polypropylene handle is not only good looking, but it also helps anchor the blade in the hand when making hard chopping or slashing strokes
- Made of tough and durable 1055 Carbon Steel with black baked-on anti-rust matte finish for extra protection
- Includes a durable Cor-Ex sheath for added safety and carrying convenience; Dimensions: 18 in blade length, 6 1/2 in handle length, 2. 8 mm blade thickness, 24 oz weight
Different Type of Steel
Before investing in any of the machetes reviewed, look at what material the manufacturers use to make the blade. You can find three different types of metal used:
- Carbon – the metal is harder than stainless steel and offers a distinctive edge sharpen retention. However, you will need to oil the blade regularly to help prevent rust unless it does have an epoxy coating.
- Stainless Steel – the material is softer than carbon, but re-sharpens easily and offers stain resistance with less maintenance. The downside is that it is not as durable as carbon.
- High Carbon Stainless Steel – here, you have a combination of both metals, making it durable and corrosion resistance. However, as with carbon, it still needs regular oiling unless it comes with an epoxy coating.
What to Look For Before You Purchase
Before you purchase your garden machete, you should first know that different types will provide different functionality. Machetes also come in different shapes, types of blade and grip handle. All of which should be factored in your decision.
Type of Garden Machete
We’ve listed down the types of machetes for you to know which one suits your style.
Billhook – Billhook machete is an ancient and traditional cutting tool typically used in chopping or cutting tree shrubs, grapevine, and branches. The billhook is also used in agriculture and forestry.
Bolo – The tip of the Bolo machete is slightly larger than the grip handle that makes it unique. Because of its weight, it is capable of performing heavy chopping and cutting.
Bush – Bush machete is also known as Latin-style machete. It’s an all-purpose machete with a straight back blade.
Cane – Cane machete is also known as Sugar Cane machete. The cane machete has a broad blade designed to cut thick stalks of sugarcane, bamboo and other plants with thick stems. Some cane machete has a thin edge at the tip, which allows it to pull the chopped stalks from standing plants.
The finish of the machete blade offers different purposes. A black powder coat finishes aids in the prevention of corrosion and rust. Look for a finish that has anti-corrosion and rust qualities.
Like most knives, the machete also comes with different types, and each one offers you an exclusive use as seen here:
- Leaf Shaped Blade – the blade you sharpen from one side, and you can use it to cut different things but will need to know the proper technique to use it properly.
- Tang – this part connects the blade to offer grip for slicing and chopping. You will need more force when selecting such a machete and comes with a full-length blade.
- Sheath – you can find the protector made with different fabrics from leather, nylon, COR-ex, or CORDURA. For a durable and long-lasting option, a leather sheath is an excellent option. However, a nylon sheath offers a sustainable design for the blade. On the other hand, the last two options have a high-quality structure to protect the cutting edge as well.
Last update on 2021-03-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API